QR codes, those barcode-like images that can be scanned by smartphones, are showing up in magazine ads, on product shelves, billboards, websites, blogs, buses and trains etc.
It is easy to scanning a QR code – you can download a free QR code reader app for your smartphone, and take a picture of the code. The QR code can be read horizontally or vertically, it allows marketers to pack in more information.
But according to researcher comScore, only 6% of mobile phone consumers actually use them — leaving 94% to wonder what the fuss is all about, which means most people had no idea about what the QR code is. Because of that, the industry has a lot of work to do towards teaching people not only how to use the codes, also need to tell them why they’re there in the first place.
USA Today used the opportunity to check in and see how well-known the QR code is. But looks like there only 20 percent of them have heard about QR code and used them.