When posting and sharing things on social media, use the right size of image is important. Research shows that images and visuals have huge impact on liking, sharing and even web traffic.
If you just look at Facebook. 87% of total interactions (sharing, clicks and comments) can be attributed to just photos. On Twitter you get 150% more re-tweets, 89% more favorites and 18% more clicks.
As it can’t be “one size fit all”, every social network has its own set of specifications, size limits and dimensions.
If for personal use, it may not be so important if your face is all stretched out or if you are a tiny spec of a thumbnail.
However if it is for business, and you are using social media for promotion, use the right and optimal image sizes on each social media platform is important.
The cheat sheet below provides detailed instructions for each of the 7 social media platforms, they include file size, file type and pro tips.
- Twitter: The optimum size for in-stream photo is 1024 x 512 pixels.
- Facebook: With the shared images on Facebook, the optimum size is 2048 x 2048 pixels.
- Google+: The image size on Google+ is 2048 x 2048 pixels.
- Tumblr: The shared images on Tumblr requires 1280 x 1920 pixels.
- Instagram: The images size in the feed on Instagram is 640 x 640 pixel.
- Pinterest: The Pin image standard needed on Pinterest is 736 pixels wide, you don’t need to worry about height as it is scaled for you.
- LinkedIn: The shared image size requirement on LinkedIn is 531 x 399 pixel.