Will you trust below these statistics? The facts are staggering but some of the figures and statements really make me think. It is correct that social media is hot, but it is also a difficult task for marketers to learn how to handle these medias. And it is even more challenge for marketers to implementing social media strategies efficiently.
Many individuals who are just getting into the game of social media have heard social media is free or cheap due to the fact that many platforms such as Facebook and Twitter are free to signup. However, when come to the maintain social media activities on a daily basis, it is NOT FREE at all because you need to spend time work on it, time is not free and time is money.
Marketers who want to increase brand awareness and engagement do not spend just 10 minutes here or there Tweeting and posting. They take the time to listen to what people are saying about their brand, products or services, what the competition is saying, what consumers are saying regarding the competition and more. Then they take the time to respond, question, and comment in a relevant manner.
“A significant 58% of marketers are using social media for 6 hours or more each week and 34% are 11 or more hours weekly. It’s interesting to note that 15% of marketers spend more than 20 hours each week on social media.” (2011 Social Media Marketing Industry Report, Social Media Examiner)
Here are the relevant social media statistics for 2011 from Socialnomics
1. Over 50% of the world’s population is under 30-years-old
2. In 10 years over 40% of the Fortune 500 will no longer be here
3. Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
4. Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
5. 1 in 5 couples meet online; 3 in 5 gay couples meet online
6. 1 in 5 divorces are blamed on Facebook
7. What happens in Vegas stays on YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, Facebook…
8. 2009 US Department of Education study revealed that on average, online students out performed those receiving face-to-face instruction
9. If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 3rd largest and 2x the size of the U.S. population
10. 80% of companies use social media for recruitment; % of these using LinkedIn 95%
To success in social media, it takes time, effort and in turn money. Conversation in social media is not an overnight success like winning the lottery, you do need to spent on the people who “manage” the brand online – those with experience in digital marketing realize that more time and effort spend in social, the greater the reward. So if you are Newbies, take note.