The global competition has laid a great impact on small and medium businesses (SMEs) toward work on thin margin of profit. To keep pace with global competition, SMEs who treat their marketing strategy as personal marketing and direct sales will soon become the things of past.
Compare with conventional marketing strategy, because the development in the technology, low cost Internet marketing has provided the consumers, companies and advertisers with a deserving contentment, even to common people’s lives.
The conventional marketing, on the other hand, requires more offices, people and travel etc, which could shoots up the cost and time.
If you are a big corporation, you may be able to afford the expenses. But for small and medium businesses, it will be a challenge and difficult thing to do. They need to explore various idea towards cut cost to help them survive in this competitive world, especially in the time of economic recession, such as offices restricted to a few location due to the infrastructure cost.
To achieve the goal of optimize resources, employees who has multitask skills and capabilities are preferred than the rest, in general practice, they will get recruited first.
Before the Internet, there were few channel sources for SMEs in terms of new products and solutions information accessing. Buyers have to attend the trade show, read traditional publications, hear the news from colleagues, receiving a cold call from sales rep or a direct mail piece etc.
But now with the Internet technology, just by using the power of search engines, SMEs can find and access almost all kind of the latest information, news, product or market trend and etc. The entire search process is fast, convenience and effortless.
In the general term, the conventional marketing is a “push” process, as one has to push the marketing material to the target market, like broadcasting the message on TV, radio, exhibitions, direct mail, brochures, cold calling etc methods to get information out.
But Internet marketing is subtly different; it is generally termed a “pull” process, which means the person that searching for the product or service is in a ready to buy, or at least researching for a future purchase mode. They are looking to gather information, make a decision and “buy”.
The main objective of internet marketing is to attract prospects to websites. Most of SMEs are using it as a showcase for their product or service, normally you will only see some information about company’s presence and existence, then nothing else. Only visitors who are familiar with the firm could know about the services or product of that organization offers.
Marketing through the internet is not simply having a domain name and adding content. It is much more than that. Small and medium businesses should realize the immense benefits and advantages of using the internet for product promotion and wooing of customers in faster and effective ways to get their product or service out to the world and reach to a bigger size of audience.
Just like other forms of marketing, there are different channels and various methods SMEs can use to let their customers know about what is being offer and sold (products and services).
- Social Media Marketing – is the process of marketing, promoting products and services through leading social media websites, such as Twitter, Facebook and Google+
- Articles and Blogs – SMEs can provide important information about their services and products by regular updating fresh content to their blog or website.
- Infographic Marketing – Just as people do judge books by their covers, online shoppers will judge your business based on what they see when they arrive on your site and encounter your brand elsewhere on the web. Infographics break down data visually, it helps viewers make sense of complex information and it provides content in bite-size and digestible chunks. Click Here to see how infographics marketing works.
- Email Marketing: This involves sending emails and newsletters to customers and prospective customers to promote and give information about products and services through your subscriber mailing lists.
- Search Engine Optimization – SEO methods are used to get the business web page on top of the search results page. One of the things you should do is to use Google+ to works in conjunction with Google Search to build your business search presence and social influence.
The internet has a wider and extensive reach beyond geographical barriers, this aspect can help SMEs create a larger customer base and more profitable bottom line. And through online marketing, small and medium businesses can thrive and carve a niche and make use of the limitless possibilities the internet provides to get recognition for their websites and open the doors conveniently for business profits.